Winter is often the season for flu outbreaks and the elderly are more vulnerable to contract such illness. Due to their age, their immune system is also impaired. Even the elderly in home nursing are prone to contract diseases from their surroundings. That is why it is important for them to develop healthy eating habits and exercise for them to stay healthy. Giving them superfoods to boost their health especially during winter is great for them to stay healthy and illness-free.
Below are top 10 superfoods that can boost the health of your elderly loved ones. After all, good healthy habits start at home and elderly in home nursing can benefit these superfoods to improve their overall health.
1. Acai Berries. They are rich in antioxidants, healthy fats, and dietary fibre. They help fight free radicals, improve cardiovascular and digestive health.
2. Cacao. Cacao beans are rich in antioxidants, magnesium, and lipids. They also fight free radicals, aid depression and improve cardiovascular health. This is beneficial for those elderly in home nursing that sometimes feel depressed when their normal functioning starts to diminish.
3. Coconut Oil. Coconut oil from dried coconut meat is rich in lauric acid, which supports the good kind of cholesterol in the body. It is also rich in dietary fibre.
4. Sea Kelp. It is found in shallow salt water and is a natural source of vitamins, Calcium, and Iodine. It aids in cellular metabolism, improves cardiovascular health and thyroid function. Adequate iodine intake may help protect the body from radiation poisoning.
5. Manuka Honey. This unique honey is produced in New Zealand by bees that pollinate the native manuka bush. It has a higher level of enzymes and its nutritional content is up to 4 times compared to regular honey. Good for wound healing, relieves stomach ulcers as well as soothe heartburn. A spoonful of Manuka honey can also help treat sore throats.
6. Bee Pollen. This is found on the bodies of bees and is rich in vitamins, carbohydrates, and lipids. It helps improve digestive health, combats fatigue, helps asthma and allergies and also increases energy.
7. Chia Seeds. These seeds contain fatty acids, calcium, and protein. They increase energy, improve digestive health and maintain cholesterol levels. Make sure to inform your loved ones’ home health aid worker that chia seeds can be used as a substitute for eggs in some recipes. Just soak in water until it becomes gel-like.
8. Goji Berries. Found in Chinese shrubs, these berries are rich in amino acids, antioxidants, and vitamins. They help boost immune function, mental function as well as cardiovascular health. They contain more vitamin C than orange juice.
9. Maca Root. This is found in tuberous Peruvian vegetables. Rich in amino acids, vitamins, and enzymes, it boosts hormonal function as well as libido. It also improves mental function and increases energy. See more at Aarcare
10. Spirulina. Found in blue-green algae, spirulina contains antioxidants and vitamins that also increase energy, help immune function and aid in weight loss. This is safe for use during pregnancy and breast feeding and may even boost fertility.
These are superfoods that you can give your elderly loved ones to help boost their immune system and increase their energy. It is important to inform home care assistants of their benefits so it will be included when they assist in the elder home care, especially in meal preparation. It would be best if you can also find home care assistants that are aware of these superfoods to ensure that your loved ones get the proper nutrition right at the comforts of their home. For more details, just visit https://arcare.com.au/what-is-aged-care/